Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chinatown






Greetings from Pump House Studio, “The Mice say Hi!”.
This summer I took a trip to San Francisco and stayed in Chinatown, “the city within a city” which is one of my favorite places. The first Chinese immigrants arrived in American at the docks of San Francisco in 1848. Since then Chinese culture and the specific culture of Chinatown in San Francisco have influenced the Americana West Coast and the rest of the United States.
Chinatown in San Francisco is the largest Chinatown in North America and has the largest Chinese community outside of Asia. I also finally found the bed, (a Chinese wedding bed), I have been dreaming about since the 1987 movie The Last Emperor of China. I offer up my paintings of Chinatown as a homage and of course my bed, every artist needs a great nights sleep.
All the best to you,
Jason Berlin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just like I remember. When I was a kid, we'd go go to Chinatown to buy firecrackers.
Nice Work,
Eric Bergmark

Anonymous said...

I'm homesick.
Thanks for sharing.
Makes me want to see your image(s) of Portland's Chinatown...

Ruby